- Windows Deployment Services (WDS) server running on Windows Server 2008 R2.
- 24 Dell Precision T3400 client computers.
- A 10/100 switched network, with all computers using 1GB network adapters.
- PXE boot.
- Windows 7 Enterprise image.
Multicast - 41 minutes
Unicast - 9.5 minutes
We monitored the network performance and WDS showed quite a bit more network usage during the multicast than during the unicast deployments. So, based on this customer's configuration and imaging process, Unicast is the preferred choice.
There are important considerations though:
- Is the imaging taking place during business hours?
- Is the imaging limited to 50 computers or less at one time?
- Does the network support multicasting?